Thursday, December 18, 2008

Do the right thing - spay/neuter your animal

I saw him again... that cat.

My woods are full of feral cats. They seemed to be breeding out of control.
I've always suspected a particular large black and white tom cat was the father of many of these young cats. I also suspect he has fought with my cats. I see him all the time, walking around my property, drinking from my pool - like he owns the place. I saw him again last night. So, I decided to try and trap him. I've learned that having him neutered will take away that instinct to fight and also control the cat population around here.

After less than an hour, the trap was sprung but empty. Drat, that cat is too smart to get caught. So, I reset the trap in a different location and caught a cat, but not the one I wanted. This little female tabby looked to be less than a year old. The ear wasn't tipped* so I knew she hadn't been fixed. I called the Beesley clinic and they said they could take her today so I got my coat on. As I was looking at this cat, she didn't seem feral. So, I stuck my finger through the cage and touched her. She immediately began purring. I took her out of the cage and held her. She was clearly not a feral cat. I called my neighbor and found that she had just taken these 2 kittens, neither had been fixed, it was her cat. So, I returned her cat and encouraged her to have them fixed. It looks like that cat, the big black and white tom cat will have to wait for another day.

Thanks to Tana who has educated me on this subject and has done more to help control the cat population in Mid TN than anyone I know. At great personal expense, Tana has saved the lives of many animals. She has personally trapped, fixed, and released several cats in my neighborhood. I've learned a lot from her. Tana is a hero and champion of animals. Her actions could even help preserve the health of my own cats:

As my cats get older, I don't want to have them fighting for their territory and being infected or injured by these feral cats.

*If you're unfamiliar with Snip and Tip, it is a trap/neuter/return (TNR) program that will help control the population of feral and free roaming cats. All cats will receive a left ear tip to identify them as a spayed or neutered and vaccinated cat. Probably best that you read about how to trap cats humanely if you plan to do it.

Be responsible, have respect for life and don't be a Dick:




Spay/neuter your animals!!

No comments: