Thursday, December 6, 2007

Cool weather cruising - a nice day for a walk on a Tennessee beach


What to do on a freezing day in Tennessee? Go to the beach, of course! Here at Bill's TN Paradise, we tend to live a life less ordinary. This is what I did on my first day of winter break... I have the next 5 weeks off. SWEET !

Centerhill Lake was low, and pretty much deserted today. It was sunny and in the 30's. It really didn't feel cold. The water looked clear and matched the blue sky.

The beaches were broad and clean, covered with shells, stones, and even a few tiny flowers. (click on pics to enlarge)


I really like coldweather cruising because the lake is always empty and so quiet. I keep the canvas up and the interior heated, cozy enough for shorts and socks. Making hot chocolate and playing guitar while slowly moving down the lake is really relaxing. Hiking along the shoreline is really nice.

I put in at Sligo, took the boat all the way to Centerhill Dam, about 20 miles up the lake. This is a part of the lake I've avoided in recent years due to over use. I noticed Hurricane Marina got a face lift. Looks like a new store and restaurant, well... new to me.

In Cove Hollow, there are some newer godaweful ugly looking apartment buildings on the top of the hill, a few new houses as well.

On my way back, who do I see? Alan Jackson in his behemoth of a silly looking houseboat turning down Holmes Creek. I'm not sure it was him driving, but his boat is unmistakable. Looks like a floating mansion. Maybe it was one of his guys taking the boat to get winterized at Hidden Harbor Marina? I guess he likes to live a life less ordinary as well. The only time I've seen Jackson on the lake is during the week. Any experienced boater will tell you, avoid area lakes on the weekends, especially Percy Priest.

This was a perfect day for a cruise. Saw almost no one. Had a nice walk, almost felt like being in the wilderness. I was tempted to build a fire on the shore and stay the night in the boat, but ... I've got a 5k race to run Friday.

My boat is a classic 24' Sea Ray, in great shape. The cabin is trimed in teak and it has heat, hot water, shower, 2 burner stove, sink, fridge, head, TV/DVD, comfy bed ... everything I need. This is where I'd be if I were homeless.

Thanks to Carlos Moore at Sligo Canvas Shop for such a great canvas enclosure at a great price. Carlos is a great guy!

No comments: