Deputy Secretary of State Randall L. Tobias resigned Friday, one day after confirming to ABC News that he had been a customer of a Washington, D.C. escort service whose owner has been charged by federal prosecutors with running a prostitution operation. Tobias was a strong proponent of the Bush administration’s abstinence-only policies. Tobias also oversaw a controversial policy advocated by the religious right that required any US-based group receiving anti-AIDS funds to take an anti-prostitution “loyalty oath.” (More on Republican sex crimes).
File this one under "criminals investigating criminals"
Senior Justice Department official Robert E. Coughlin II, deputy chief of staff for the criminal division, which is overseeing the Department’s probe of Abramoff resigned as investigators in Coughlin’s own division ratcheted up their investigation of lobbyist Kevin Ring, Coughlin’s long-time friend and a key associate of Abramoff.
Run down of Republicans convicted or under investigation
This is a short list and does not include lobbyists, congressional aids, CEOs, contractors, war profiteers or many of the others involved in the vast umbrella that has become know as the Republican Culture of Corruption.
- Rep. John Doolittle (R-Calif.)
- Rep. Tom Feeney (R-Fla.)
- Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.)
- Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-Calif.)
- Rep. Gary Miller (R-Calif.)
- Rep. Tim Murphy (R-Pa.)
- Rep. Rick Renzi (R-Ariz.)
- Former Rep. Bob Beauprez (R-Colo.)
- Former Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.)
- Former Rep. Randy “Duke” Cunningham (R-Calif.)
- Former Rep. Tom DeLay (R-Texas)
- Former Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fla.)
- Former Rep. Jim Gibbons (R-Nev.)
- Former Rep. Katherine Harris (R-Fla.)
- Former Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.)
- Former Rep. Bob Ney (R-Ohio)
- Former Rep. Curt Weldon (R-Pa.)
- David Safavian -US General Services Administration - convicted criminal
- Ernie Fletcher, Governor, KY - Indicted for official misconduct
- Scooter Libby, Chief of staff for VP Cheney - Convicted for perjury
- Bob Taft, Governor of Ohio, Convicted of ethics violation
- Claude Allen, Advisor to the President, convicted of shoplifting
- Mark Dennis Zachares, House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- Karl Rove - Advisor to the President, U.S. Office of Special Counsel investigation
- Richard Cheney - Vice President, Articles of Impeachment presented
- Condoleeza Rice - Secretary of State, subpoenaed by House Oversight Com.
- George Tenet - Ex Chief CIA, asked to testify before House Oversight Com.
- Robert E. Coughlin - Justice Department official, resigned - Abramoff scandal
- Randall L. Tobias - Deputy Secretary of State, resigned - sex scandal
- Alberto Gonzales - Attorney General, investigated by House Oversight Com.